Thank you to Nearpod for providing all attendees a three month subscription to Nearpod Gold! Nearpod makes any presentation interactive. Students can take polls, quizzes, watch videos or draw in their many features. It combines presentation, collaboration and assessment. Nearpod can be used with computers, tablets or cell phones. Laura Sexton shared some great tech tips for Nearpod in the foreign language classroom. Thank you to Nearpod for providing this for all of our attendees!
Martina Bex is amazing at putting everything into comprehensible input! She manages to include great cultural information in all of her lessons. She also makes songs and news articles comprehensible for discussion in classes. Martina’s lessons are filled with great ideas that you can apply to the classroom. Make sure you check out her blog for amazing ideas and resources in addition to her TeachersPayTeachers store. Thank you for furthering our mission and supporting EdcampCIVa!
If you have never been to an edcamp before, here are some tips:
- Come early, so you can propose a topic and meet new people! While the welcome and sessions will start at 9, the day begins with breakfast and conversation early. There will be signs on tables, so you can find similar language teachers. Introduce yourself to others to meet new friends! Also, in each session, try to meet one new person.
- Remember to exchange contact information with your new friends. This way you can stay in touch even after this edcamp.
- Don’t be afraid to switch sessions! If a session isn’t what you need, use the law of two feet to go elsewhere. Or even find a spot to sit down with a new friend to discuss what is going on in your schools. This is your time in the summer, so make sure that you are getting the most out of it that you can!
- Step up AND step back. Do you like to share and talk in sessions? Be sure to share your ideas, but make sure that you don’t talk the whole session. Listen to others as well. Do you prefer to listen? Try to share at least one of your ideas in each session. We came to learn from each other. This is the perfect way to do so. Or- bring an idea to share at our share-a-thon!
- Join us later at YNot to continue more informal conversation!
- Check out social media later for more tips! If you are on Twitter, follow @edcampciva for more ideas. Look up some of the Facebook group for many of the comprehensible input groups.
Thank you to our sponsor Flipgrid for donating for breakfast and three Flipgrid classroom subscriptions! Flipgrid is a video platform used by over 50,000 teachers to empower student voice and ignite discussion. In Flipgrid, teachers post discussion topics to which students respond via video, creating a social learning environment that provides every student an equal voice and increases engagement. Many foreign language teachers use Flipgrid. Check out how Arianne uses it to “techify” her novels, and Kara’s post about Interpersonal Speaking via Flipgrid.
Thank you to our sponsor Teach for June for donating 8 gift certificates for webinars! Teach for June provides professional development for language acquisition including TPRS basics and power grading. Teach for June means that you are setting a final goal for proficiency in June instead of just covering chapter to chapter in a textbook. Want to learn more? Check out the articles on the website to learn about their specialties.
Thank you so much for Teach for June for helping to make EdcampCIVa happen!